Tuesday, February 17, 2009

movies and mix tapes

I guess I'll back track to the weekend. The show was amazing! It went well over 11pm but no complaints and no police, luckily. There was way too many bands for one show, but luckily it worked out. The house had well over 100 people. In the end it ruled and I'm glad to see basement shows continuing in Ottawa. They're the most fun and truely DIY and truely represent underground music. Tylers house fucking rules for keeping basement shows alive in Ottawa.

The rest of the weekend included lot's of hanging out with my homie, BSC brotha and friend, French Iain. On Sunday we hit up the Mayfair to see Malcolm X. A three and a half hour flick starring Denzel Washington about the story of Malcolm X, an African American Muslim minister, public speaker, and human rights activist. This was my first time fully watching Malcolm X and I thought the movie was awesome. Spike Lee did an amazing job of capturing the true story of Malcolm X, without putting a complete hollywood twist to it. Denzel did a beautiful job. Malcolm X was definitely a historical icon and paved the way for racial equality in the world.

Malcolm X's assassination in the movie. Seeing this on the big screen was, wow.:


After Malcolm X ended, we grabbed some poutine, did some stuff and came back to see Flicker. Flicker was fucked. It's about this object called the the Dreamachine created by modern artist of the 60's and 70's, Brion Gysin. It's a machine that gives you a high by looking at it. Read the link for Dreamachine to learn about what it fully is. The movie featured Iggy Pop, The Yeah Yeah Yeah's and other wacky people. It was interesting to say the least.



We ended the night by getting our drink on at the Dom, and going to Zaphods to make Matty play some Municipal Waste. Awesome night. The next morning I hit up the Mayfair again with Iain to see E.T. Not much to say, but that E.T. rules, especially on the big screen. More movies need bike chase scenes.




The rest of the weekend I spent with Cas. We watched Friday The 13th on Friday. Awesome classic horror movie! 924 Gilman Documentary on Sunday. Good documentary. I wish we had a place like this in Ottawa that was co-op run with DIY ethics. A wicked place for independent bands to play. We also watched Searching For Bobby Fisher on Sunday which stars Max Pemeranc, Joe Mantegna and Laurence Fishburne among some. Great movie based on the life of prodigy chess player Joshua Waitzkin.




I made the sickest punk rock mix tape this weekend for Cas:

Here's the track list:
Side A:
Gunmoll - Less Than You Hoped For
The Creeps - I Broke Your Hymen, You Broke My Heart
Osker - Strangled
Fifth Hour Hero - Cut Me Dead
Small Brown Bike - Shadow
Against Me! - Pints Of Guinness Make You Strong
The Queers - See You Later Fuckface
Dwarves - Dominator
Gob - Censorshit
Sack Lunch - On Your Own
The PG-13s - When You're Around
The Transit - My Murderer And Me
Screeching Weasel - Hey Suburbia
The Lillingtons - X-Ray Specs
The Ergs - Boston, Mass
Statues - Pinpoint
Bouncing Souls - Punks In Vegas
Good Riddance - Salt
blink 182 - Apple Shampoo

Side B:
88 Fingers Louie - Something I Don't Know
Digger - I Want My Hat Back
The Arsons - Magoo
Jersey - This Town
Descendents - Nothing With You
Samiam - Bad Day
The Get Up Kids - One Year Later
The Gaslight Anthem - High Lonesome
The Loved Ones - Jane
The Bellabombs - Super Glue
Four Stroke - (We Don't Sing About) Rock And Roll
The Visitors - Vietnam
The Valveenus - Waiting For The Day
Off With Their Heads - I Hate My Stupid Ass
Banner Pilot - Deadender
Lagwagon - Sleep
Diesel Boy - Titty Twister
Bracket - Talk Show

I'm going to end this blog with The White Wires music video, which I can't stop watching/listening too:

No comments:

Post a Comment