Sunday, February 1, 2009

good vibrations

Here's some music I've been digging lately and bands I think you should check out. I've been listening to a lot of melodic punk rock and folkish stuff. Mainly everything No Idea Records related. If I could, I would have sex with No Idea Records.

I'll kick the blog off with sharing Living With Lions new music video. They're a kickass pop-punk band from Vancouver. They write hella catchy tunes and are always fun live. This video rules. I wish more bands, especially punk rock bands, made fun videos like this.



This next video is of Orphan Choir. They're one of my favourite Canadian bands. They remind me a lot of Hot Water Music. The vocals are really distinctive. I know a lot of bands who play this style try to rip off classic bands like Hot Water Music and don't pull it off, but I find Orphan Choir has their own edge. They add their own originality to the genre and do it well. I don't even know if I could just throw this in the "melodic punk rock" genre. It's a style of it's own. Not to add that theres no other bands like them in Canada. They have a couple 7" and CDs out. Definitely worth picking up!



I don't know if you guys are familiar with a website called If You Make It, but it's basically two guys and a gal who document bands they're friends with and love. They have whats called the Pink Couch Sessions where they have bands come in and do acoustic sets on this pink couch. They also film bands live. They just did a bunch of footage at The Fest this past fall. I'm in love with this website and pretty much every band they document. Recently, they just started uploading their videos to Vimeo. So now you're able to copy the embed code and spread their videos around! So here's some bands/artists I'm currently in love with that are on If You Make It:

This first band is Blacklist Royals. They're an awesome punk rock band from Nashville, Tennessee. Here's a video of them doing a Pink Couch session. You can also click on their name for a link to their myspace page.


Blacklist Royals - Things They Say from If You Make It on Vimeo.

This next one is of Good Old War. They're a folky/indie band from Philly? I don't even know what genre to put them under. They're going on a big tour with The Gaslight Anthem soon which rules. Awesome band. Here's their Pink Couch session.


Good Old War - Coney Island from If You Make It on Vimeo.

Here's American War. Awesome, awesome folk. Don't know what else to say..catchy tunes, awesome voice. Love American War!


American War - Bricks from If You Make It on Vimeo.

Nana Grizol is a weird band. Weird in a good way, though! Really catchy tunes. I'm not sure how many are in the band but they have a variety of instruments in their songs (horns, keyboard) and lots of clapping!


Nana Grizol - Blackbox. from If You Make It on Vimeo.

Well, thats another post! I think I'll end this one with a wicked video I found of old Montreal punk rock band All The Answers playing live. They ruled so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment